MCSA is supporting The Stroke Association throughout 2018, the UK’s leading charity dedicated to conquering the causes, and when possible helping people recover from the debilitating effects of a stroke.
There are over 1.2 million stroke survivors in the UK, with 100,000 strokes happening in the UK each year. That equates to one stroke every five minutes!
A ‘stroke’ is the fourth single largest cause of death in the UK.
The Stroke Association campaigns for all those who have suffered the devastating effects, for greater awareness of the warning signs and better stroke aftercare.donate to stroke association
A recent TV campaign focuses on the FAST test. Knowing how to spot the warning signs of a stroke;
Face: Can the person smile? Has their face fallen on one side?
Arms: Can the person raise both arms and keep them there?
Speech: Can the person speak clearly and understand what you say? Is their speech slurred?
Time: If you see any of these three signs, it’s time to call 999.
High blood pressure is the biggest risk factor for stroke. In the UK, 9.5 million people are diagnosed with high blood pressure, with a further 5.5 million cases diagnosed. Get it checked!
- Since 1991, the Stroke Association has spent more than £40 million supporting vital stroke research
- They are the only UK-wide charity supporting stroke survivors of all ages
- Invest nearly £3 million in vital stroke research every year
- Have 400 Life After Stroke Services in communities all across the UK
- In the last year alone they were able to provide £200,000 worth of Life After Stroke Grants to stroke survivors in need